Get your sleeping bags, flashlights, and campfire songs ready!
We’re going on a camp-in! Many venture into the woods to escape the hustle and bustle of every day life. In this Play with The Family Place at Home Edition, we’re bringing the camping experience to you in your own home!
- Create the illusion of sleeping under the stars! Have children color and cut out the star outline in this PDF and tape them to your ceiling. After, bring blankets, pillows, sleeping bags, mattresses, etc. you need for sleeping in your living room.
- Build your own indoor “campfire.” You can follow this template.
- Get books from your local library to read by flashlight while sitting around the campfire in your living room. Here are 10 books about camping:
- Curious George Goes Camping by Margret & H.A. Rey
- S Is for S’mores: A Camping Alphabet by Helen Foster James
- A Camping Spree With Mr. Magee by Chris VanDusen
- Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping by Peggy Parish
- Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night by Cynthia Rylant
- The Camping Trip that Changed America by Barb Rosenstock
- A Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements
- The Boxcar Children: The Camp-Out Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- Camp Out!: The Ultimate Kids’ Guide by Lynn Brunelle
- Kids Camp!: Activities for the Backyard or Wilderness by Laurie Carlson
- Play games by the campfire
S’mores in the Oven Recipe
- What you need:
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate bars
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Put graham crackers on an ungreased baking sheet, broken in half
- Place 1 large marshmallow on each cracker, end side up
- Bake for about 5 minutes (keep an eye on it so they don’t burn)
- Remove from oven
- Add half of the chocolate bar and another half graham cracker on top
- Let sit for about 2 minutes, then smash em’ and enjoy!!